Modern Water owns a suite of patents that underlie a Forward Osmosis technology platform. At this time Modern Water has the first and only operational seawater plants in the world using this technology.
Modern Water has deployed this platform technology to produce both desalinated water and evaporative cooling make-up water, with sites in Oman and Gibraltar. In fact, Modern Water is the only company in the world with a commercial FO plant which is located in Al Najdah in Oman. Construction of the plant was completed in September 2012 and it is now being operated by Modern Water.
The technology has proven, depending on the application, to deliver significant operating and capital expenditure savings; reduced chemical consumption; robust fouling resistant membranes; and ultimately a lower carbon footprint than competing technologies.
The benefits of Forward Osmosis
- Substantially reduced operating costs
- 30% lower energy use
- Reduced chemical consumption
- Membranes that are fouling resistant and chlorine and biocide tolerant
- Much lower boron levels in output water than for traditional Reverse Osmosis
- Less downtime than conventional Reverse Osmosis due to low fouling and easy cleaning
- Increased membrane life
For further information please contact:
Managing Director, Membrane Processes
T: +27 (11) 476 2254